- SCAVMA Wellness Committee Wellness Week Activities
- VPH Training on Thursday, March 23, 2017 from 12:30 - 1:30 PM in Charter Hall Lab
- SCVMA NAVLE Review Sessions on Monday, March 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM in Ray & Jan Sis Lecture Theatre II
- SVM Radiology Club Executive Meeting on Monday, March 27, 2017 from 12:30 - 1:30 PM in Charter Hall Lab
- IVSA Bake Sale on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 from 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM on the Lower True Blue Bus Stop
- LAS Lunch Lecture with Dr. Ackerman on the pneumonia pathogen Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae on Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 12:30 PM in Ray & Jan Sis Lecture Theatre II
- LAS Equine Lecture with Dr. Karasek on Thursday, March 30, 2017 at 6:00 PM in Ray & Jan Sis Lecture Theatre II
- IVMC Lecture on Rehabilitation with Dr. Zenoni on Friday, March 31, 2017 from 12:30 - 1:30 PM in Ray & Jan Sis Lecture Theatre II
- Integrative Veterinary Medicine Club (IVMC) Upcoming Guest Lectures on Friday, March 31; Monday, April 3; and Tuesday, April 4, 2017
- New Jersey Veterinary Foundation Veterinary Education Grants
- Full-time Associate Wanted
- The SGU Community Garden Pilot Project
- SVM Awards Ceremony to Honor Faculty and Staff for Outstanding Achievement on Friday, April 7, 2017 at 7:00 PM in Bourne Lecture Hall
- International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Association 10th Annual Conference from May 16 - 17, 2017
- Call for Papers - CbVMA 2017 Conference - deadline Wednesday, May 31, 2017
- CEEZAD BSL-3 Training/Transboundary Animal Diseases Summer Program from June 12-21, 2017
- Annual FR3 Minicourse
- The Pet Effect
For nearly 60 years, the AO Foundation has set the standards of practice for orthopedic and trauma surgeons—both medical and veterinary—around the world. Beginning in July 2017, Dr. Tomas Guerrero, a Professor for Small Animal Surgery at St. George’s University, will chair the Latin America chapter of AOVET, the foundation’s veterinary branch, representing the region’s veterinary health care professionals and connecting them with world-renowned veterinarians through a wide range of courses.
“I’m really proud to have been named to this position,” said Dr. Guerrero, who will chair the chapter through June 2020. “I have worked with AOVET for many years and appreciate the role it plays in establishing principles that will help provide treatments for animals as well as humans.”
Founded in 1958, the AO Foundation is a not-for-profit organization comprised of more than 16,000 surgeons, operating room personnel and scientists across over 100 countries. Its veterinary branch, AOVET, is designed to advance veterinary surgery and improve patient outcomes.
Dr. Guerrero currently serves on the AOVET Latin America Board as its Education Chair in 2015. His appointment as its chair is only the latest step in his work with the Foundation, which began in 2000 when he was a small animal surgery resident at the University of Zurich (UZH) in Switzerland. Dr. Guerrero went on to earn his Doctor of Medicine from UZH in 2003. He came to SGU in 2011 following an 11-year stint as part of UZH’s Vetsuisse Faculty.
Under Dr. Guerrero’s leadership, AOVET will continue to run orthopedic surgery courses attended by professionals in and around Latin America, including a seminar titled “Advances in Orthopaedics and Traumatology in Small and Large Animals,” set for April 1 in Argentina. Worldwide, course topics range from spinal injuries and front limb alignment to fracture management and osteotomies.
The courses not only connect participants with decorated specialists in the surgical field, but they also take their practice’s technological capability into account.
“There is an economic reality that is completely different from the United States and other parts of the world,” Dr. Guerrero said. “It’s important for us to consider that. We organize courses for that introduce new techniques to veterinary professionals and do so based on what they can afford.”
With his appointment, Dr. Guerrero is excited that SGU will be well represented in important congresses and meetings worldwide, including AO Foundation Davos Courses 2017 at the Davos Congress Center in Switzerland.